Pet Health


Our Pets and the Indoor Environment

Small pets, cats and dogs, are susceptible to allergies, bronchitis and other ailments exacerbated by poor indoor air quality.

Indoor air quality often impacts animals like humans. Often the home environment has unseen fungus, mold, and dust mites.

Pollutants can be filtered out of the environment using Hepa air filter systems and plants that clean the air.

If your dog or cat has skin rashes, hair loss, watery eyes, wheezing, labored breathing, sickness and shows signs of inactivity, they could be exposed to something in the indoor environment.

Questions? Please call us 888-547-5741

In addition to poor air quality and the obvious dangers it can present here are the Ten Most Common Pet Toxins of 2014 as reported by the ASPCA

Here are the 10 most common pet toxins of 2014 ranked in order of call volume:

  • Human prescription medications are most often exposed to pets, as mentioned above. The prescriptions that caused the most concern correlated with the most popular medications prescribed to humans.
  • Over-the-counter medications, including herbal and other natural supplements, attracted greater concern this year than in previous years resulting in approximately 25,000 calls. This category is exceptionally large, encompassing more than 6,900 different products.
  • Insecticides dropped to the third slot this year, comprising 9.1% of calls to the APCC (15,000 cases). These products can be very dangerous, especially if the label directions are not followed.
  • Household items were the cause for concern in more than 13,500 cases, especially paints and cleaning products.
  • Human foods are appealing to pets, especially dogs. Dogs can get into serious trouble by ingesting onions, garlic, grapes, raisins and xylitol, a sugar substitute which can be life-threatening for animals. Approximately 13,200 cases involved human foods in 2014.
  • Veterinary medications made up 7% of total cases in 2014. Pet parents should be aware that chewable medications are very tasty and pets might ingest an entire bottle if it is not kept out of their reach.
  • Chocolate ingestion is very common. At the APCC, chocolate calls make up 6% of the total call volume—more than 30 calls a day! The darker the chocolate, the more potential it has to do harm.
  • Plants represent approximately 5% of the calls to the APCC and moved up a spot since 2014. Most of these calls involve cats and houseplants.
  • Rodenticides are made to kill mice and rats, but they can also kill pets if ingested. APCC handled more than 7,500 calls about rodenticides last year.
  • Lawn and garden products round out the top ten, accounting for about 2.7% of all calls. Many of these exposures occurred because people did not store lawn and garden products out of the reach of pets.

If your dog or cat has skin rashes, hair loss, watery eyes, and shows signs of inactivity, they could be exposed to something in the indoor environment. If you think your dog has been exposed- call your veteran doctor immediately.

Please support your local ASPCA